Quota International of Grand Rapids Membership Meeting
Sunnybrook Country Club, Grandville, MI
September 18, 2014
Present: Sandi Aten, Debra Buckley, Elaine Carr, Pat Cook, Diane Friar, Sarah Glover, Barbara Griffin, Martha Herman, Cathy Kaiser, Robin Keith, Maureen Martin, Rachael Owsinski, Gwen Powers, Sue Scharf, Kathleen Slagal.
15 members and 3 guests attended.
1. Call to order: 6:00 pm by President Martha Herman. Quota Collect
2. Consent Agenda: August meeting minutes were approved as sent.
3. Recognition of Guests:Ashlee Dowley, Meijer Hearing Centers; Trish Lopucki, Northview, Supervisor; Total Communication Program; Nicole Kragt, Teacher, Northview
4. Review of Duck Walk: Great turn out! Quackers, the Duck, was a hit!! Donations were down a bit from last year. Schools and agencies participated which is wonderful! Finally we have connected with them!!
5. Committee Reports:
Communication – Robin: Completed PR for the Duck Walk; waiting on info for PR on the recipient of GRCC scholarship; Rachael will be handling PR for the Barnes & Noble book sale.
Membership – Diane: Awarded gifts to all guests
Program – Barbara: On October 16, we will hear from 2 audiologists, keeping with our theme of education about deaf and hard of hearing.
Service – Sandi: Showed samples of the 9 pilot caps we provided for young GROD students, to help keep their cochlear implants and hearing aids in place. Ashlee will provide one of her employees who speaks Spanish to help with parent meetings at KenOSha.
Fin/Fund – Pat: Barnes & Noble book sale is Nov 8 at Woodland Mall. Committee will meet to discuss spreading out fundraisers throughout the year. Robin will provide information on Amazon Smile – a program that shares a % of each Amazon purchase with your favorite charity: Quota.
Treasurer – Maureen: Thank you for sending in your dues payments.
6. Advisory Council – September 23, at DHHS, 3:30 – 5:00; Members to date: Cindy Cafmeyer, Jeannette Johnson, Ashlee Dowley, Trish Lopucki, Martha, and Kathy F. and Sue Scharf. Cathy K. will facilitate the discussion. This is an introductory meeting to identify unmet needs of the community and how we can collaborate with each other.
7. Strategic Planning – Cheers; The Board has approved an investment in Cynthia D’Amour’s Chapter Leader Lounge program for insight, group coaching experiences, succession planning and Strategic Thinking; Tons of Resources and expertise. This will assist us in a structured, goal oriented process along with landmark decision points and tools for measuring our success.
The next Board meeting will be Oct. 9, 5:30, Diane Friar’s condo. We ENCOURAGE you to join in on the discussion. Please let Martha know who else will be joining us. Robin encouraged all to attend as Strategic Planning will be a key part of this meeting. How do we Engage current members, Attract new members and not burn out?!
8. Other – Martha will write up a submission about the Duck Walk to Make a Difference Day, a chance to win $10K from USAToday newspapers. Robin and Gwen will provide editing.
Pat will investigate the ASL (American Sign Language) program at Forest Hills to see if they would be available to present at a future meeting. They have 3 classes running. Northview has 9 sections running also, with 420 students enrolled.
Quota received a thank you note from Kelly Cleveland for the pilot caps. “I can proudly give these to our new families to help ease the stress of teaching their little ones to refrain from pulling off their equipment.”
Travel raffle was won by Elaine Carr – a specially selected gift from Rockford purchased by Pam Howland.
Trish Lopucki, Supervisor Total Communication Program for Northview Public Schools
Northview offers a Total Communication program (oral and signing) for 60 students, age 2 – 18.
Eight teachers and 19 interpreters are amazing in making this Center based program work – it is recognized throughout the state. The Northview program is special because of the relationships of this family within a family. One key program is their monthly Deaf Connect Days – an opportunity for the students to get to know deaf culture from one another.
Martha adjourned the meeting at 7:10 pm.
Cathy Kaiser, Recording Secretary