Here is a link to our new International President’s message. Please take a moment to read what Karen Murphy has to say. She shares her goals, the direction the Board is going and the changes we can look forward to with our new structural system (we are in Region 4, “leaping 4-ward”).
I’ve also included the July Minutes as approved at our August meeting.
Quota International of Grand Rapids Meeting
Sunnybrook Country Club, Grandville, MI
July 24, 2014 Minutes
CELEBRATION OF OUR PARTNERS!
Present: Sandi Aten, Peggy Bishop, Deb Buckley, Pat Cook, Ginny Ebers, Kathy Freeman, Sarah Glover, Barbara Griffin, Martha Herman, Cathy Kaiser, Robin Keith, Maureen Martin, Rachael Owsinski, Gwen Powers, Kathleen Slagal, Emily Uebbing.
16 members and 29 guests attended. Guest list is attached.
1. Call to order: 6:00 pm by President Martha Herman.
Sandi raffled off fun summer baskets of goodies throughout the meeting.
2. Consent Agenda: June meeting minutes were approved as sent. Robin and Sarah were awarded prizes for uncovering the false line in the minutes.
3. Introductions: Martha asked each group of guests to introduce themselves: Quota members, Alumni, Agencies, Volunteers, School staff, Supporters and Special Guests
4. GR Quota History: Kath Slagal presented a delightful review of Quota’s founding in 1945, significant accomplishments, and notable events. Recall that we raised $40,000 for Cameron Weston’s cochlear implant under Peggy Bishop’s presidency. Remember our first male member, Mike Friar in 1989? How much fun we had with the Cool Cats at camp and cooking school! Quota means friends who will be there when you need them. Thank you to all contributors for your time, talent and donations.
5. Where are we now, and where we’re going: Martha shared plans for the future including strategic planning that will provide more focused services, an Advisory Council to help the club and partners collaborate more effectively, attract new members, and seek out more funding. Although some of us are wearing out, and our lives are busy, our hearts are big.
6. Slide show: Emily Uebbing presented an excellent video collection of Quota activities, including the Cool Cats, Convention, Kids Food Basket bags, and gift bags for Sisters in Support.
7. Quotations from our Partners – David Overeen, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, GR, and Todd Sprunger – MI Rehab Services, Kent County described their services and the types of needs their clients have, including hearing aids, and other equipment.
8. Special announcements and recognitions
a. Kath Slagal recognized the top tickets sellers in the 50/50 raffle (Martha, Robin, Kim).
b. Kathy Freeman – Service Committee Chair in recognition of the Helen David Service Award for the sign language interpreters at Northview’s theatre performance of ‘The Miracle Worker”. Kathy also described our service projects for this year.
c. Sarah Glover – Quotarian of the Year, 2014
d. Chris Kaiser – aka, Gertrude; aka, Theodore sang a special song for Quota
9. Special Guests – Renee, and her son, Easten Johnson with Grandma Grace. We are considering the many ways we could assist Easten who has a cochlear implant.
10. Upcoming Events: Martha announced these opportunities to support Quota:
Duck Walk, September 14th, Millennium Park, 1 pm – 3 pm
Koeze Nut Sale – Order those great nuts for any occasion at any time!
Barnes & Noble Book Fair – November 8th, Woodland Mall
11. Other Announcements: See you at the Duck Walk!
Martha adjourned the meeting at 7:30pm.
Cathy Kaiser, Recording Secretary
Summer Celebration 2014 – Guest List
|#||First Name||Last Name||Organization||attended but no RSVP|
|5||Yvonne||Babe||District 4 Director||Steve||Owsinski|
|31||Nicki||Mumford||Quota Club of Kalamazoo|
|32||David||Overeem||Deaf & Hearing Services|
|36||Misti||Ryefield||Deaf & Hearing Services – interpreter|
|41||Todd||Sprunger||Michigan Rehab Services|