Communications Team – Annual Report
5/1/11 to 4/30/12
In 2011-12, the Communications Team operated fairly independently in the current year, as the chair was challenged by staff turnover at work. Nonetheless, the committee members followed the planning that had been done the previous year, using:
- The Club’s planned Service Activities and Fundraising Activities (determined at the 2011 “Who Wants to Be a Quillionaire?” meeting)
- Editorial Calendar concept developed the previous year
- Event communications tool
Individuals volunteered to publicize each event.
COORDINATION and LIST OF EVENTS
Communications team members each volunteered to coordinate the information distribution for a few of these events and activities:
- Monthly membership meetings
- Election of New Officers and Directors
- Quota Cares Walk
- Holiday Shopping Extravaganza
- Santa Claus Parade: Healthy Hearing earplug distribution
- Holiday lunch for DHHS Friends
- Quota Holiday Party
- Barnes & Noble Book Fair
- Installation of Officers/Annual Meeting
- Shawnee Courtyard Gardening
TOOLS AND METHODS
We continued using the Event Communications Tool, which is a one-page sheet designed for each Communications Team member to use with Event Chairs to gather all the relevant information about a given event, and to plan which of the following methods to use distribute information:
- Our website: www.quotagr.org – blog maintained by Emily, used for all official communications, President’s message, monthly reports, events calendar, and a convenient place to have information readily available for general public and members. Private information is password protected, general information is not.
- Facebook: Quota of GR has a Group page – Quota International of Grand Rapids — used to publicize events, post photos, invite friends and/or public to participate
- GR Now: Occasionally used to publicize monthly meetings, other public events; GR Now Events
- Flyers: Paper and electronic versions used to publicize events
- Email distribution to members – used primarily for immediate communication, reminders, and forwarding of turn-key materials members can use to forward to friends (invitations, flyers, links to event sites)
- Press Releases: a media distribution list has been developed for sending press releases; press releases are used to publicize election of officers and directors, specific gifts (e.g. to Gallaudet student), quarterly funding cycle for requests from individuals and organizations
NOTABLE COMMUNICATIONS DURING 2011-12
Kim Savoie was interviewed by Shelley Irwin on WGVU radio on January 4, 2012, promoting Quota and our Book Fair at Barnes and Noble. Kim did a fantastic job sharing who we are! Click on the link to listen to the interview:
Robin submitted our “Cool Cats Cooking” to the Publicity Contest held by Quota International . It was a very good writeup, accompanied by pictures, and gave a great flavor of the service we’re doing with the Cool Cats.
OTHER COMMUNICATIONS TEAM ACTIVITY
Other activities throughout the year 2011-12:
- Maintained the Roster: roster updates for our padfolios were issued periodically as new members joined and as changes accumulated
- Maintained the Brochure: the brochure developed during 2010-11 was maintained during 1011-12 and distributed upon request
- Publicized our Financial Aid: information is published on the website for use by anyone wishing to apply for funds; instructions and quarterly due dates are posted on our website for Individuals and Organizations to be able to apply for these funds; a page was added for GRCC Students to find out about our scholarship, and the GRCC Scholarship was written up on the blog
- Sent hard-copy information to individuals without email or internet capability
- Maintained web hosting and domain registration through DreamHost; updated our DreamHost blog software as new releases came out
Many thanks to the Communications Team: Carol Karr, Robin Keith, Emily Uebbing. They really made these communications happen!
Submitted by Chair: Maureen Martin.