I just finished our donation request to Meijer for the Duck Walk. I was astonished as to how much we give to this community through our work, and I didn’t even mention all of it!!
Approximately 3.6% of Kent County residents are deaf or hard of hearing, or 22,381 people. There are 9,506 in Ottawa County and 9,012 in Muskegon County.
The statistics identify 19.5% are below the poverty line and 12.9% receive SSI. We, at Quota, raise money to change people’s lives by providing low cost hearing aids, support for internet services for those who cannot afford the link to the outside world, phones or even door bells and for interpreters when they go to the doctor’s office. We take for granted the many services they are restricted to enjoying….television, movies, concerts, etc.
Often they are isolated and depressed due to their disability. We will take this donation to impact their lives, and the lives of those around them, in a variety of ways. The deaf have a unique culture all their own. We need to help them feel part of the whole community with positive encouragement.
- Purchased a set of hearing aids, retail cost $6,000, for a young lady who suffers from Meniere’s Disease. Quota Club collected used hearing aids for points towards a new set. The young lady is low income and is so thrilled to hear! The Hear for Good Project is still collecting used hearing aids and can now purchase 7 more hearing aids.
- Collaborate with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services to support summer camp experiences for 50 children
- Work with Northview’s Total Communication Program to support 23 high school students to visit Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., the only university for deaf students
- Provide interpreter services to Spanish speaking mothers of children who attend the Grand Rapids Oral Deaf program; provide support of time and services to the program
- Work with Grand Rapids Community College to provide a $500 scholarship to an individual who is pursuing a career in assisting the deaf
- Provide donations to Michigan Rehabilitation Services for working adults to find or continue employment for about 30 individuals
You should all feel very proud of what we do and the path we’re taking to become an outstanding Club.
I appreciate you and all that you do to make it happen and make a difference.
Martha Herman, President